Fwd: [Pw_forum] CP breakdown for long simulations?

Nicola Marzari marzari at MIT.EDU
Fri Oct 20 00:34:26 CEST 2006

Thanks to Carlo Cavazzoni for the explanation !

The reason is that the lambda of the ortho constraints
is calculated independently on each processor, and that
can induce a numerical drift in different processors.

The lambda is broadcast to all other processors every time there
is a wavefunction write, but if one has a low frequency of restarts
the drift can raise its ugly head. (Not to mention that our
frequency of restarts was 100, that is quite frequent).

Suggestion: since *especially* on massively-parallel run
(like we do here - 4 cpus, and sometimes even 8 cpus) you
do not want to save the wfcs very often, and since the ortho
is very important, can't it be broadcast at every iteration,
from the root processor to all others ?

				nicola