[Pw_forum] about density

Stefano Baroni baroni at sissa.it
Sun Oct 8 14:30:12 CEST 2006

Hi Amin. It is a matter of definition that may or may be not useful,
according to the use that one makes of it.
The projected density of states reads:

n(\epsilon) = \sum_n | \langle \psi_n | \phi_0 \rangle |^2 \delta
(\epsilon-\epsilon_n)

where \phi_0 is the orbitals you want to project onto, and \phi_n and
\espilon_n are eigenpairs of the Kohn-Sham equation. The above
expression, that can be seen as the imaginary part of the one-
electron Green's function, is perfectly well defined for any
localized orbital irrespective of the basis set used to expand the
Kohn-Sham orbitals. In a nutshell, n(\epsilon) expresses the
contribution of the localized orbital to the total density of states
of the system under study.

does this help?

regards - SB

On Oct 8, 2006, at 12:40 PM, Amin Babazadeh wrote:

> dear users
> In espresso code we can calculate the DOS for s,p,or d orbitals
> but  as i know in pwscf method we expand a plane wave function and
> use it to find eigenvalues and eigenstete and in the expanded
> plane wave we don't have a quantum numbers (i mean n & l ) or
> orbitals.So how we can say that this is a DOS diagram of s orbital
> or p orbital.
> Sincerely yours
>
> --
> AMIN

---
Stefano Baroni - SISSA  &  DEMOCRITOS National Simulation Center -
Trieste
[+39] 040 3787 406 (tel) -528 (fax) / stefanobaroni (skype)