[Pw_forum] Question about potential (pp tool)

degironc degironc at sissa.it
Wed Oct 4 17:59:08 CEST 2006

If you are reading a psedopotential in the OLD fomat (not the UPF
format) there is an array Vloc and then a number of
DeltaV_l, and then there is also a variable called lloc that specify
which  l-component is considered as local.
Inside the PW code then  Vloc_at(r) = Vloc(r) + DeltaV_lloc(r) [this is
the quantity that enters in Vbare referred to in pp.x] and the NON-LOCAL
part is built  from DeltaV_l - DeltaV_lloc.
If the pseudopotential were used in the semilocal form (not in the KB
form) different choices for  lloc would all coincide for
0<= l <=lmax ( max ang component in the pseudo) and only angular
component correspondig to l > lmax would be affected... this should not
have large effects (this form is not anymore implemented in PW).
In the KB fully non-local form different choices of lloc therefore
produce slightly different pseudopotentials that  all gives the same
results on the atomic configuration used for the KB projection and
should behave similarly provided they do not have GHOST states.  Usually
lloc=lmax (or lmax+1) would be the most "physical" choice but this is
not always possible due to the ghosts problem above.

Using UPF format this little algebra has alredy been done in the
pseudopotential file and Vloc_at above is given direclty in the PP_LOCAL
field while the KB projections = DeltaV*Psi_atomic are given in the
PP_BETA fields and lloc is not needed anymore.

Sorry if  this explanation confuses you again...

stefano