[Pw_forum] smearing methods and relaxation

Nicola Marzari marzari at MIT.EDU
Thu Nov 30 16:32:58 CET 2006

Hi Jess, you should use a smearing instead (usually methfessel-paxton or
marzari-vanderbilt). You need to use a small value - try 0.4 eV
(remember, pwscf uses Ry, so divide by 13.6), and make sure
that whatever you want to calculate is converged with respect
to k-points.

0.4eV might be too large for a lot of critical properties - so decrease
it (and increase, by a lot, the kpoints) and see if things change.

				nicola