[Pw_forum] Iron cluster relaxation

Axel Kohlmeyer akohlmey at cmm.chem.upenn.edu
Mon Nov 13 22:22:44 CET 2006

On Mon, 13 Nov 2006, Cyrille Barreteau wrote:

CB> In fact I have looked in more details at the results of pw.x calculations
CB> and there is a funny behaviour. The restarted calculations converges towards
CB> a totally different scf solution with a total magnetization  1mu_B larger
CB> than the previous "crashed" calculation. I guess there are several magnetic
CB> solutions and I "jumped" from one solution to the other.. Funny..

hmmmm.... interesting. that could explain the geometry optimizer
getting 'stuck' even if you use a large enough cutoff and tight
enough wavefunction convergence. since you always restart from
the previous wavefunction, there is a high tendency to stick to
a similar state, even if it is not the optimal one anymore.
did you restart from the previous wavefunction/density
or with a new (atomic or random) wavefunction?

sadly, this kind of situation is one of the problems that can happen,
sometimes rather unexpectedly (it happened to me in a CP dynamics
only after several ps simulation time when the system seemed
equilibrated and i switched the thermostats for production run).

how about adding a (paranioa) flag to pw.x that allows to do a final
wavefunction optimization from an initial wfc (either random or
atomic) at the last step of a geometry optimization and then
compare the energies/eigenvalues and warn if the differences
are large (the flag could be a floating point number with 0.0
meaning no check)?

cheers,
   axel.