[Pw_forum] Questions about a soft Raman active phonon

Lijun Zhang lijun_physics at yahoo.com.cn
Wed May 31 08:40:05 CEST 2006

Dear all,
  I am doing some calculations on the phase transition induced by lattice
  instability. With increasing pressures, I found that a Raman active phonon
  softens to zero, the same as behaviors in the ferroelectricity.  An elastic
  instability also appears upon compression, signaled by a sound velocity
  going to zero. However, the former extremely precedes the latter, thus I
  conclude that the phase transition is driven by the phonon instability. Is it
  right? If true, how to search for the stable high pressure phase through the
  eigenvectors of the unstable mode?
  Any reply will be appreciated.
  Lijun Zhang