[Pw_forum] about GGA implementation

Axel Kohlmeyer akohlmey at vitae.cmm.upenn.edu
Tue May 30 16:50:58 CEST 2006

On Tue, 30 May 2006, Nicola Marzari wrote:

hi,

[...]

NM> Notwithstanding this, hybrid functionals often seem to predict
NM> Kohn-Sham gaps in closer agreement with experiments. As far as I know,
NM> there aren't hybrid functionals implemented in pwscf yet.

to the best of my knowledge, exact exchange is an experimental
feature in the PW code, but needs to be ifdef'd in via -DEXX.
IIRC, it has been mentioned in this mailing list a couple of
times. please search the mailing list archive.

NM> Gaussian03 has an extensive choice (e.g. the HSE hybrid),
NM> and I believe that now CPMD also has several of them.

correct. CPMD had exact exchange via ACM0/ACM1/ACM3
implemented for a while and as of the current version (3.11.1)
several hybrid functionals are implemented
(B3LYP,X3LYP,B1LYP,PBE0,PBE1W).
note however, that this implementation has only seen
some limited testing and is computationally _extremely_
expensive (unlike in codes with gaussian basis sets).

regards,
    axel.