[Pw_forum] Negative PDOS and Graphing of Energy Bands

Paolo Giannozzi giannozz at nest.sns.it
Thu May 25 09:54:19 CEST 2006

On Wednesday 24 May 2006 18:20, John B Burdette wrote:

> [...] Can anyone explain how a negative value for the PDOS
> could occur

the PDOS is calculated using smearing. Are you by any chance
using Methfessel-Paxton broadening (ngauss=1) ? it may produce
negative weights. Try simple gaussian, or Marzari-Vanderbilt
(cold) smearing: ngauss=0 and -1 respectively. Of course it would
be nicer to use tetrahedra, but it has to be implemented (I heard
that somebody had actually done this, but I have never see any
code)

> and also if this is actually a problem I should  worry about?

if the negative values are small, you shouldn't, but of cource it
doesn't look nice, especially in a figure for publication!

> 2. I also looked at the Energy Band Structure for CaF2 and I
> am unaware of what the independent variable used for plotting
> the energies from the program bands.x and plotband.x is.

you mean: the x-axis of the plot? it is k, along the lines that are
supplied in input, as in any respectable band structure plot

Paolo
Paolo Giannozzi             e-mail:  giannozz at nest.sns.it