[Pw_forum] Confused on nat definition

Stefano Baroni baroni at sissa.it
Thu May 11 07:29:45 CEST 2006

OK. Let me try to shed some light on this unexpectedly obscure point.

On May 11, 2006, at 6:41 AM, Huiqun Zhou wrote:

> Hmm ..., because there are 4 lattice points, that are (0,0,0) and 3
> end points of the
> basis vectors as stated, in a diamond structure, and there are two
> primitive elements
> which are located at (0,0,0) and (1/4,1/4,1/4) for this structure,
> so there should be
> 4 x 2 = 8 atoms in a conventional unit cell of diamond structure.

I am sorry, Huiqun, but I am afraid that this argument is wrong and
confusing. What do you mean by "4 lattice points"? Of course, every
triplet of vectors originating at (0,0,0) has one common point (the
origin), and 3 end points. AND SO WHAT?

> But because of periodicity, theoretically you can choose either
> only the primitive
> elements (2 atoms) in an unit cell with appropriatelly selected
> large number of k points
> for calculation, or the whole member (8 atoms) in an unit cell with
> less k points for
> calculation. I may be wrong, please correct me.

Although it is certainly true that, for a same system, doing a
calculation with a larger conventional unit cell would require a
smaller number of k points, I feel that it is confusing to try to
explain a property of the real-space lattice with something that has
only to do with the way calculations are technically done (the number
of k points).

Let me try to clarify the matter as much as I can.

1) The Bravais lattice of the diamond structure is face-centered
cubic (FCC). A basis for this Bravais lattice is, e.g., (1/2,1/2,0),
(1/2,0,1/2), (0,1/2,1/2).

2) Each elementary cell of this FCC lattice contains two equivalent
atoms, located at (000)+R(l,m,n) and (1/4,1/4,1/4)+R(l,m,n), where R
(l,m,n) = l*(1/2,1/2,0) + m*(1/2,0,1/2) + n*(0,1/2,1/2) is a generic
point of the Bravais lattice (l,m,n being integer numbers).

3) The above basis for the Bravais lattice defines a unit cell of
*minimum volume*. Of ourse, one is free to choose as a basis any
triplet of integer linear (and linearly independent) combinations of
the minimum basis. For instance, one could choose: (1,0,0) =
(1/2,1/2,0)+(1/2,0,1/2)-(0,1/2,1/2), (0,1,0)= [guess what?], and
(0,0,1)=[guess what?]. These three vectors form a basis for the
simple cubic (SC) Bravais lattice. Calculate the volume of the
original FCC unit cell (defined at point 1 above) and compare it with
the volume of the SC unit cell considered here (hint: the volume of a
parallelepiped is the absolute value of the determinant of the 3x3
matrix whose columns are the coordinates of the three vectors which
form the edges of the parallelepiped). You will find that the the
volume of the SC cell is 4 times larger than the volume of the FCC
cell. This means that if you choose to describe the diamond lattice
as SC instead of FCC (which you are free to do), the unit cell will
contain 4x2 instead of 2 atoms. You see where the factor 4 comes
from? Nothing to do with the "number of lattice points" (whatever
these lattice points may be).

4) Now, the volume of the Brillouin zone (BZ) is (2\pi)^3 divided by
the volume of the unit cell. Hence, the volume of the SC BZ is 1/4
the volume of the FCC BZ. That's why, in order to sample a SC BZ with
the same accuracy of an FCC cell you will need 1/4 as many k points.
But this is another story which has little to do with the main point
of this thread.

Hope this clarifies a little bit the muddy waters

Stefano Baroni

> Huiqun Zhou
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Eyvaz Isaev"
> <eyvaz_isaev at yahoo.com>

---
Stefano Baroni - SISSA  &  DEMOCRITOS National Simulation Center -
Trieste
[+39] 040 3787 406 (tel) -528 (fax) / stefanobaroni (skype)