[Pw_forum] Confused on nat definition

Huiqun Zhou hqzhou at nju.edu.cn
Thu May 11 06:41:33 CEST 2006

Hmm ..., because there are 4 lattice points, that are (0,0,0) and 3 end
points of the
basis vectors as stated, in a diamond structure, and there are two primitive
elements
which are located at (0,0,0) and (1/4,1/4,1/4) for this structure, so there
should be
4 x 2 = 8 atoms in a conventional unit cell of diamond structure.

But because of periodicity, theoretically you can choose either only the
primitive
elements (2 atoms) in an unit cell with appropriatelly selected large number
of k points
for calculation, or the whole member (8 atoms) in an unit cell with less k
points for
calculation. I may be wrong, please correct me.

Huiqun Zhou