[Pw_forum] question on electron_dynamics and orthogonalization

Nicola Marzari marzari at MIT.EDU
Wed Mar 29 22:49:05 CEST 2006

Hi Nichols,

what you are doing is extremely useful.

The two calculations seem actually in good agreement, but of
course beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

The total energies are within 1 mRy of each other, and the forces
seem to have a factor of 2 difference (that is correct - in PWSCF
the forces are in Ry/bohr, while in CP they are in Ha/bohr; PWSCF
labels the forces as  Ry/au, that is the same as saying Ry/bohr,
and CP says that they are in atomic units, and atomic units for the
forces are Ha/bohr).

The eigenvalues are different, but as long as it's a rigid shift between
the two, we are fine (the two codes have clearly a different measure of
what is zero in the energy scale - maybe someone could comment on this).

The stresses are wildly different, but this is a bug we also noticed a
week ago, and Paolo Giannozzi and Carlo Cavazzoni are tracking it down.
Bug in CP.

Let us know - if you want an ultimate comparison, try to run both in
serial, make sure that the fft grids are the same (they are, in your
case, 40 45 64), tighten the tolerance on the energy convergence as much
as possible, and see what you get - it helps having an unrelaxed, out
of equilibrium structure, so you get forces that are fairly large.

But the agreement between the codes seems actually very good, at this
stage - a part from the stress.

Let us know if you find something else that I might have missed.

Thanks,

			nicola