[Pw_forum] White space error

Axel Kohlmeyer akohlmey at vitae.cmm.upenn.edu
Thu Mar 23 15:51:42 CET 2006

On Thu, 23 Mar 2006, james raynolds wrote:

JR> Dear users,
JR>
JR> I'm trying to compile pwscf on an AIX machine with
JR> xlf90.  It compiles with no errors but gives a runtime
JR> error of "illegal instruction".  Using dbx I find that
JR> the error is due to white space in lexical
JR> expressions.

james,
this may only be a symptom, e.g. the compiler assumes
different semantics and then the linker pics up
a different library (or not).

'illegal instruction' happens, if you compile for a
different instruction set, e.g. for power5 on a power4
machine, or you are linking the wrong platform specific
libraries. please compare the flags in your make.sys file
with the hardware you are running on...

regards,
    axel.

JR> For example: calling the function f(x) like
JR>
JR> f (x)
JR>
JR> with a space between f and (x) gives rise to the
JR> error.  If I take out the space and call it like
JR>
JR> f(x)
JR>
JR> the error goes away.  The problem is, there are so
JR> many places where this happens that it is impossible
JR> to take out all of the spaces.  Doing a grep on the
JR> string ' ('  in the PW directory gives like 9000
JR> places where this happens.
JR>
JR> Does anyone know a work around??  Any help would be
JR> greatly appreciated.  Thank you in advance...
JR>
JR> Sincerely,
JR> James E. Raynolds
JR> Assistant Professor
JR> College of Nanoscale Science and Engineering
JR> University at Albany, State University of NY
JR> Albany, NY USA

Dr. Axel Kohlmeyer akohlmey at cmm.chem.upenn.edu http://www.cmm.upenn.edu
Associate Director - Center for Molecular Modeling - U. of Pennsylvania