[Pw_forum] Re: phonon modes assignment and others

Stefano de Gironcoli degironc at sissa.it
Tue Jan 10 12:22:48 CET 2006

Please take a book on group theory and look for irreducible
representations ...

If you have a set of patterns that belong to an irreducible
representation (say U^mu_i, where i is the atom index and mu the
partner index in the representation)  what you need to do in general is
to compute the way they transform under
symmetry operations.
If S is the symmetry operation , its action on a given pattern will
transform it in a linear combination of its partners
S ( U^mu_i)  =  \sum_nu  D(S)_mu,nu  U^nu_i

Compute the trace of D(S) (the characteristics of the representation)
and apply the orthogonality theorem you find in
group theory books to discover which representation you are dealing with.

stefano

W. YU wrote