[Pw_forum] Re: phonon modes assignment and others

W. YU yuwen_66 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 10 09:04:46 CET 2006

Thanks to Paolo and Eyvaz,

>> 1. Is there an easy or not so easy way to assign
the
>> different modes from the phonon calculation results
>> the various irreducible representations?

> no easy way, only not-so-easy ways. Once upon a time
I wrote
> a small code that did exactly that for molecular
fullerene C60,
> but it is a special case in which most modes can be
identified
> by their parity and degeneracy; the remaining ones
by some
> simple tricks. I vaguely remember that somebody sent
a pointer
> to some general code for irrep calculation, but I
couldn't find the
> message

Any further remarks on the method you used would be
much appreciated.! It seems completely two different
things for me to have a space group in mind and know
what irreducible representations are associated with
it or on the contrary, to have a set of mormal vectors
for specific lattice mode and find to which
irreducible representation they belongs.

Best regards,

Wen YU