[Pw_forum] help me: how to calculate free energy

hailin yu yuhailin_79 at msn.com
Tue Aug 22 16:39:32 CEST 2006

Dear Stefano B:
      Thank you for your advice.
I have writen a programme to compute the free energy according to
Equ(1)(PRB,57,10421(1998)). And I have checked the normalization of the DOS
and found the integral of the DOS  equal to 5.932386, agreement with 3*2 (2
atomic per unit cell, is unit cell or primitive cell?? ). I also have using
Equ(3)( Chem. Phys. Lett. 417,272-276(2005)) to compute free energy and
attainted the same results with using Equ(1)(PRB,57,10421(1998)). but our
results is still different with the previous work (PRB,57,10421(1998)). At
the range of 0~400 K, our results ( free energy) decrease nearly 6 eV,
while the previous work is about 0.26 eV. Where are wrong?

Thank you very much!
     yuhailin
the follow is my pragramme
                integer i
	double precision hi,k,T,Z,F,dos
	double precision aSn(197),aSndos(197)

	open(1,file="aSndos.dat")
	open(2,file="aSn-FreeEnergy.dat")

	hi= 1.055  !
	k=1.38	   ! the Boltzman's constant

	do i=1,197
	read(1,*)aSn(i),aSndos(i) ! the unit of omega is CM-1
	dos=dos+aSndos(i)
    enddo
	print *,dos

	do T=1.0,400.0,1.0
	F=0.0
    do i=2,197
	Z=(hi*aSn(i)*0.029979*10.0)/(2*k*T) ! the value of (h*omega)/(2*K*T);
0.029979 is the coefficient of CM-1 ~THz
    F=F+k*6.24151*(10.0E-5)*T*log(exp(z)-exp(-z))*aSndos(i) ! the sum of
k*T*ln[2*sinh(h*omega/2*k*T)]
	                                         !the unit of F is eV;
1J=6.24151*10E18 eV
    enddo