[Pw_forum] Re: Woodcrest vs Opteron performance in pwscf calc.

Alexander Shaposhnikov shaposh at isp.nsc.ru
Thu Aug 3 12:55:41 CEST 2006

My experience with Pathscale compiler shows that it  does not give any
substantial improvement over Intel compiler for AMD, in most cases.
Intel compiler is also more compatible with different FORTRAN codes,
and, last but not least, it is free for non-commercial use.
By the way, gcc-compiled ACML is  compatible with Intel compiler.
I use it. Intel compiler can even be used to compile and run code on AMD
with -xP optimization, i.e. with SSE3 instructions. But performance
improvement (if  any) is  negligible.

I will run tests and post results as soon as i get access to the
machines.

Best Regards,
A. Shaposhnikov