[Pw_forum] Crash when running pw.x for relaxing a structure

Huiqun Zhou hqzhou at nju.edu.cn
Wed Aug 2 08:04:09 CEST 2006

Paolo,

Thanks for your response. I have made more calculations these days. Below
are
some facts:

(1) The system I'm investigating is with orthohombic unit cell. The volume
is fixed
  at 1570.0 bohr^3, and the calculations were carried on by changing
  b/a = 0.275 - 0.400 : 0.025
  c/a = 0.975 - 1.200 : 0.025
(2) Not all calculations will fail at charge density extrapolation. For
example, when
  b/a = 0.375, the calculation will fail only when c/a = 1.200. This error
is highly
  reproducible.
(3) The error occurrs only in the calculation on 4 CPU cores, and it's no
problem
  when running on one or two CPU cores. This is true for all failed cases.
(4) This problem can be duplicated on compute nodes with different dual core
  processors, such as Intel dempsey (Xeon 5060), woodcrest (Xeon 5140), and
 AMD opteron 280.

The OS of my cluster is RHEL4 U3 (kernel 2.6.9-34). I'm using Intel FORTRAN
9.0, MKL 8.0 and FFTW 2.1.5. I have no access to other commercial compilers,
and failed to compile QE with g95.

The attached zip file includes input for b/a=0.375, c/a=1.200, and output
files of the
results on 1 core (successful) and 4 cores (failure).

Thanks again for your help.

Huiqun Zhou