[Pw_forum] question on potential energy in constant pressure simulations

Nicola Marzari marzari at MIT.EDU
Thu Apr 20 17:47:50 CEST 2006

Dear Kostya,

great that your are testing the constant-pressure cp.

There is still an unresolved issue (bug...) for ultrasoft psp, in
the diagonal terms only - that could explain your results. On the bright
side, a lot of other arcane issues (bugs) that had crept in the CVS
have been recently found  and fixed  by Carlo C. and Paolo G.

The safest first step would be to look at the numerical derivative of
the ground-state energy with respect to your variable lattice
vector - should be equal with the calculated stress
(again, if you are using psp, it will not...).

			nicola