[Pw_forum] converged to wrong magnetic state of hcp cobalt in Opteron

Nicola Marzari marzari at MIT.EDU
Fri Apr 14 10:58:50 CEST 2006

Dear William,

I haven't really followed the discussion, but

1) the amount of smearing you use is always an important
parameter to asses, and it is strictly linked to the
number of k-points you use (i.e. for very small smearings,
in a metal, you need to use a lot of k-points. That's the
whole point - increasing the smearing can get you to a more
accurate result, if you know what you are doing).

2) if you are using the same smearing, and same input,
on two different machines, and you get two different results,
there maybe some good reasons (two different physical minima, reached
through different initizializations of wavefunctions; or
one machine is broken; or...), but the fact that the smearing is
finite is not one of the reasons, strictly speaking. The potential
energy surface of the system, if the machines work properly,
should be the same", with one or many minima. The minimum in
which you end up will depend on where you start, and how you proceed,
that can have an amount of randomness, or numerical noise.

			nicola