[Pw_forum] Why the energies are different when two molecules are calculated together and separate?

Stefano de Gironcoli degironc at sissa.it
Wed Apr 12 23:59:02 CEST 2006

I think this argument is in general correct and that this effect would
show up even more dramatically if you consider fragments that are open
shell like E(H+F) compared with E(H)+E(F).

This effect came from the fact that the two fragments tend to align
their chemical potential and you have some (small) charge transert.
With the *true* DFT funcional xc potentials and chemical potentials would
have sudden jumps when crossing integer number of electrons so the
equal chemical potential condition is pinned at integer numbers but with
LDA, GGA etc this is not true and there is in general some charge
transfer.

In the present case, however, CO2 is a closed shell molecule so its LUMO
is well separated from the HOMO and if the Hydrogen last eigenvalue is
higher than the CO2 HOMO but lover than CO2 LUMO then charge transfer
should not occur.

In order to clarify what is happening one could calculate projected
density of states in the two cases and see if there is indeed some charge
transfer between the fragments..

Also, in order to remove possible source of spurious interaction between
the fragments, one should use large ecutrho (I guess you are using USPP
for C and O) in order to avoid the augmentation charge to have small but
not vanishing oscillating tails all around that could "mediate" the
interaction.

I assume you did the calculation using nspin=2 so as to allow H to be
magnetic.

let us know what are the results of these tests.

best,
  stefano