[Pw_forum] Why the energies are different when two molecules are calculated together and separate?

Nicola Marzari marzari at MIT.EDU
Wed Apr 12 18:30:46 CEST 2006

My guess is that if you make your cell larger and larger the difference
will, very slowly, disappear.

You have two sources of error

1) the "covalent" interaction between CO2 and H. You do not see this
in Gaussian because of the shortcomings of the basis set there -
there are no states able to represent the weak overlap of wavefunctions
midway between the molecule and the atom.

2) the dipole of the system, that interacts with itself periodically
repeated. See e.g. Makov Payne PRB 1995, or cond-mat/0602599 and Refs.
[14] in it.

Let us know if 1) or 2) are to blame.

			nicola