[Pw_forum] abysmal parallel performance of the CP code

Konstantin Kudin konstantin_kudin at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 22 00:51:55 CEST 2005

 Silviu,

 Indeed, with a busy network writing restart files does take a while,
even on a single cpu there are couple extra minutes in the wall times.
However, this is nothing like the difference on 2 and more cpus.

 We tracked down the slow speed on the quad to the NUMA being turned
off in contrast to duals, so those differences are explainable by the
memory accesses.

 Still, an interesting question is why CP is such a dog already on 2
cpus as seeing in the huge difference between the wall and cpu times. 2
cpus in a box never talk across the network except for the occasional
restart files.

 I am curious if other clusters behave in the same way as far as wall
vs. cpu times are concerned.

 Kostya