[Pw_forum] Mermin free energy & Fermi-Dirac smearing

Nicola Marzari marzari at MIT.EDU
Sat Oct 29 12:46:46 CEST 2005

Hi Paul,

have a look at this:

http://www.democritos.it/pipermail/pw_forum/2004-January/000785.html

Basically, you should use E-TS/2 to extrapolate a finite-temperature
calculation done with fermi-dirac or gaussian smearing to its zero
temperature limit. Note that there is never a good reason to do this
- you should use instead methfessel-paxton or marzari-vanderbilt.

If you really want the "physical" E-TS at finite T, then you should
use Fermi-Dirac, and use E-TS in your work - no corrections to it to
extrapolate to zero-temperature (note my comments in the
previous link about the Vertstraete-Gonze approach to use cold
smearing to extrapolate to a finite Fermi-Dirac distribution)

What PWSCF calls "total energy" in the presence of a temperature
is actually E-TS (and I really, really think we should call it
"total free energy", to decrease this permanent state of confusion),
and this E-TS is what you should use. Note that very little has been
done to figure out what the real exchange-correlation functional at
finite-temperature is (in fact, we always use the T=0 one...), and that
it's even more difficult than usual to express from a charge density the
correct free energy of a system, since that contains an ensemble-average
at a given temperature. The Sprik PRL from ~2003 on ions in solution can
be very illuminating on the problem.

Not sure what "demet" is.

				nicola