[Pw_forum] Negative frequencies in phonon calculation

Alberto Milani alberto.milani at chem.polimi.it
Thu Oct 6 13:35:43 CEST 2005

Dear Jose,
Thank for your help.
I know well the problems about saddle points and negative frequencies because
I usually calculate normal modes of molecules where this problem occurs many
times.
Here the problem is that I am studying an infinite linear chain and so I found
strange that some kind of saddle point could be the source of the problem for
such a system. Many other ab-initio calculation on polyyne finite chain have
shown that these systems are indeed stable as linear chains (no negative
frequencies are found). So I would exclude any kind of transversal
deformartion from linearity.
From this point of view, there is no possibility for any saddle point and the
relaxed structure that I have obtained should be considered converged in a
well defined minimum. In fact, no negative frequencies are found for the
longitudinal phonons.
So I think that the problem here is not the usual saddle instability. I wonder
if the code fails in some other way in stabilizing the linear chain (e.g.
choice of the functional, pseudopotential, ...).
Thank you again for your attention.
Yours,
A. M.