[Pw_forum] Evaluation of metallic/non-metallic conduction in carbon nanotubes

Nicola Marzari marzari at MIT.EDU
Wed Nov 2 16:10:50 CET 2005

Hi Steve,

1) example 1 of the espresso distribution shows how to do a band
structure

2) smearing "m-v", temperature around .03 Ry

3) (m,n) nanotubes that have m-n = 0 or a multiple of 3 are metallic.
Very narrow tubes might deviate from this simple rule, that is
obtained by folding of graphene BZ. A lot of groups have
published band structures of SWNTs.

			nicola