[Pw_forum] Evaluation of metallic/non-metallic conduction in carbon nanotubes

Steven Kirk Steven.Kirk at htu.se
Wed Nov 2 13:47:35 CET 2005

Hello,

I want to conduct a set of calculations on carbon nanotubes of different
diameters and chiralities to establish:

1. If they are metallic, i.e. conducting, along the nanotube length
2. If they are not metallic, evaluating the band gap

Do I need to do an PW 'scf' run followed by a PW 'nscf' run? What
smearing/occupancy parameters do I need to set (suggested values
welcome) ? I have not spotted a clear output of the calculated band gap
anywhere in PW's output files, so how can I calculate the band gap from
the data given ?

Many thanks in advance,
Steve Kirk
--