[Pw_forum] SCF convergency

Jun-jun Yang yang_jun-jun at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 1 04:47:59 CET 2005

Hi, Eyvaz,

>Why you think about a local minima?

Because in my previous unconvergent run total energy had ever reached -5865
Ry,
much lower than that of current convergent run. My co-worker used annealing
method in a MD run with CPMD to calculate the same system and got a total
engergy
of about -5820 Ry.

>For test purpose, I assume, you can check lower
>conv_thr, too.

I'll try that:-)

> > Probably, I need to start the calculation from
> > another point to avoid
> > the local minimum. How can we do this in PWScf?
> >
>Not so clear what what do you want. Please clarify.

I was comparing scf calculation with an optimization problem of
multivariable function.
Mathematically, when we got problem to reach a global minima, usually we
need to
change a little our initial guess to start the search from a different point
in the relevant
parameter space and see if it makes any difference.

Best regards,

Yang, Jun-jun