[Pw_forum] About spilling parameter

Stefano de Gironcoli degironc at sissa.it
Mon May 9 09:26:32 CEST 2005

 The s;pilling parameter is a measure of how well the occupied electron
manifold superposes
to the one spanned by the atomic wavefunctions, used to build the
projected density of states.
The smaller it is the better is the superposition.

If the spilling parameter is large this means that your crystal
wavefunctions are rather different from
superposition of atomic wavefunctions.
Usually it is the case but there could be exceptions.

Check whether the atomic wfc in the pseudopotential file are reasonable.
Check your crystal structure, was it relaxed ?

Spilling parameter tells something about the atomic-wfc--projected DOS,
other properties should
be OK (if the structure is OK).

Stefano de Girocoli