[Pw_forum] Projected density of states

Pingo Mutombo mutombo at fzu.cz
Thu Mar 31 20:06:44 CEST 2005

Hello Gerardo,
Many thanks for the explanation. What I need is to project the
wavefunctions onto atomic states of particular atoms. In my case, I want
that "fraction" of the wavefunctions which are localised on adatoms and
rest atoms. For some reasons , the program" projwfc" stops without
giving any error message. I thought it was related to the size of the
unit cell.
Best regards,
                                             Pingo

Gerardo Ballabio wrote:

> On 03/31/05 19:14:40, Pingo Mutombo wrote:
>
>> How can I compute the projected density of states for selected  atoms
>> of a given supercell? I can calculate the total DOS for a
>> Si(111)-7x7 surface. However  I am unable to calculate the
>> projected density of states  probably because of the big size of  the
>> unit cell(249 atoms). At least I would like to calculate  the
>> projected density  of states for selected Si atoms (adatom and rest
>> atoms).
>

> Hi Pingo,
> "density of states for selected atoms" isn't a well defined concept
> in density-functional theory. Indeed, wavefunctions computed by PWscf
> (or any other DFT code) are "collective" and can't be associated with
> any particular atom.
>
> You may project the wavefunctions onto atomic states:
>
>   |psi> = (sum over atomic states) <atomic state|psi> |atomic state>
>
> where "atomic state" is s, px, py, pz... for a particular atom; this
> gives you the "fraction" of wavefunction localized on that atom. Keep
> in mind however that this is an approximation, because atomic states
> of different atoms aren't orthogonal in general, thus they don't form
> an orthonormal set. As a result, the sum of such "fractions" over all
> atoms may not be exactly 1, and the sum of all "atomic" DOS may not
> equal the total DOS.
>
> Gerardo

Quantum Potes Tantum Aude
Odvaz se,kolik jen muzes.
As much as you are able,that much dare to do.
Aie de l'audace,autant que tu le peux.

                    St.Thomas Aquinas
Dr.Pingo Mutombo
Institute of Physics of the Academy of Sciences of the Czech republic
Cukrovarnicka 10
162 53 Praha 6
Czech republic
Tel:+420-220-318-528