[Pw_forum] about energy gap

sun jason jasonsun98 at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 23 17:07:28 CEST 2005

Dear all,

I send it again for more discussions.

Much appreciation to Mr. Stefano de Gironcoli for your kind answers!
but I still have some doubts.

1) we mentioned that LDA underestimate band gaps, the experimental gaps for

c-BN and diamond are 6.4 eV and 5.6 eV, and the LDA results are about 4.5
and 4.1, respectively.
so why the LDA gap of B-C-N system is not in the range of 4.1~4.5 eV?

2)N doping may couse gap reduction, but should I looks my B-C-N system as N

doping in boron carbide? doping may couse impurity (donor or acceptor), but

my systems are perfect single crystals.I have not consider the amorphous
systems
they are in the case of doping?

3)as above one, are there "disorders" in perfect single crystals( in
computational
model)?

4)yes, the top of the valence band or the bottom of conduction band is a
little localized, but very small, within 0.5 eV. the gap is still small
compared with the parents materials even we add the lineup value.

Thank you very much!

Message: 2