[Pw_forum] about phonon and structural optimization

sun jason jasonsun98 at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 10 16:06:59 CEST 2005

Hi, eyvaz,

Thank you to answer my questions:)

did you calculate the phonon mode of cubic BN before?

today, I recalculate the phonon using PBE potentials, the result is better
now, but the LO mode is 1294 cm-1, about 10 cm-1 less than the experimental
value.

I calculated the LO/TO spliting using q2r.x +  matdyn.x.
                                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~

but the user manual says, the dynmat.x should be use to calculate LO/TO
spliting and IR.
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~

so which program do you use to get LO/TO spliting?

if you use pwtools dynmat.x, how to use it?

Thank you in advance.

another question is about cell optimization.

2) does pw.x can calculate from the optimized cell automatically? or I
should read the output file of vc-relax and write the coordinate into the
input file of pw.x manually?

3) I perform a vc-relaxtion using PBE USPP, the optimized lattice constants
is larger than the experimental value. why? it's reasonable?

jason

Message: 6