[Pw_forum] Configuration script bound to fail on IBM SP?

Serge Nakhmanson nakhmans at physics.rutgers.edu
Tue Jan 25 22:23:35 CET 2005

Yes, this is what I'm doing now (BTW: section 2.1.2 in the manual does not list
ibmsp as a platform requiring manual configuration; from p. 2.1 I assumed IBM
SPs are "fully supported"). And it is a fairly painful procedure! I'm still
wondering if there is a way to make the configuration script work.

One of the things I've tried before (with big help from Davide Ceresoli) was
to do "./configure --disable-parallel" (which does not get shot down), let
it find all the libs etc, then change the compiles to parallel ones by hand
and then compile. This method does produce a binary without causing the
configuring script to go berserk. Unfortunately, it seems that we've still
missed something. When I try to run this binary I do not see a regular message

     Program PWSCF     v.2.1    starts ...
     Today is 18Jan2005 at 15:40:27

     Parallel version (MPI)

     Number of processors in use:       8
     R & G space division:  nprocp =    8

     Ultrasoft (Vanderbilt) Pseudopotentials

Instead (running on 8 CPUs) I see eight copies of

     Program PWSCF     v.2.1    starts ...
     Today is 25Jan2005 at 11:41:45

     Ultrasoft (Vanderbilt) Pseudopotentials

i.e., it looks like I'm running eight serial processes that all want to
write to the same batch of output files and the whole thing (quite
predictably) blows up after a few iterations.

S.

Eyvaz Isaev wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Recently using "configure_old ibmsp" I compiled
> espresso 2.1.1 successfully on SP2 and without any
> troubles.
>
> Bests,
> Eyvaz.

- --
 Serge M. Nakhmanson                                 phone: +1 (732) 445-4603
 Postdoctoral RA                                       fax: +1 (732) 445-4400
 Department of Physics & Astronomy
 136 Frelinghuysen Road                          nakhmans at physics.rutgers.edu
 Piscataway, NJ 08854-8019          http://www.physics.rutgers.edu/~nakhmans/

 My GnuPG public key is here: