[Pw_forum] Configuration script bound to fail on IBM SP?

Serge Nakhmanson nakhmans at physics.rutgers.edu
Tue Jan 25 19:51:01 CET 2005

Dear PWscf team,

I am configuring espresso 2.1.2 on two different IBM SP machines (one SP3
and one SP4) and in both cases the configure script produces the following
complaint:

configure:1622: checking for Fortran 77 compiler default output file name
configure:1625: mpxlf90_r   conftest.f  >&5
** main   === End of Compilation 1 ===
1501-510  Compilation successful for file conftest.f.
configure:1628: $? = 0
configure:1674: result: a.out
configure:1679: checking whether the Fortran 77 compiler works
configure:1685: ./a.out
ERROR: 0031-808  Hostfile or pool must be used to request nodes
configure:1688: $? = 255
configure:1695: error: cannot run Fortran 77 compiled programs.

As I understand this, the configuration tool compiles a small sample
piece of Fortran code with an MPI AIX Fortran compiler (mpxlf90_r)
and then tries to run it to see if it works. However, most of the
SP machines (the aforementioned two belong to the DoD) I've dealt with
do not allow to run parallel codes interactively or at least not just
as "./a.out"; you'll have to do something like
"poe ./a.out -procs X -hostfile host.dat" if interactive runs are
allowed, and this is what this error message is all about. In such
a case the configuration script is kinda bound to fail.

I have already checked the most recent manual and the forum regarding
this but only found mentions of this problem on PC Linux clusters
with incorrectly installed compilers. However, I do believe that on
the DoD SP machines the compilers are installed correctly. I would
appreciate it if someone could let me know how I can work around
this SP problem.

Thanks,

Serge

- --
 Serge M. Nakhmanson                                 phone: +1 (732) 445-4603
 Postdoctoral RA                                       fax: +1 (732) 445-4400
 Department of Physics & Astronomy
 136 Frelinghuysen Road                          nakhmans at physics.rutgers.edu
 Piscataway, NJ 08854-8019          http://www.physics.rutgers.edu/~nakhmans/

 My GnuPG public key is here: