[Pw_forum] pressure from pw calculation-further

Katalin Gaal-Nagy katalin.gaal-nagy at physik.uni-regensburg.de
Wed Jan 19 10:36:50 CET 2005

Dear Yu,

the Pulay-stress is called after Peter Pulay, so you can search for this
name. During my PhD I was reading specially the papers Chem. Phys. Let.
Vol 73, pp 393 (1980) and Mol. Phys. Vol 17, pp 197 (1969). A nice
explanation I found in some lecture notes of Paolo Giannozzi, but I don't
find the link right now.

In the past I was doing some test calculations for different
pseudopotentials and it also turned out, that some of them converge very
badly with respect to the pressure. The pressure values can be positive or
negative, depending on the fact if you are overestimating or
underestimating the equilibrium volume due to the error of the Pulay
stress.

Best wishes and good luck,
Katalin