[Pw_forum] intel 8.1, install as not the root user

Goranka Bilalbegovic goranka.bilalbegovic at zg.htnet.hr
Tue Jan 11 23:51:39 CET 2005

Hello,

I know that this is not directly an Espresso question, but still Intel
compiler is perhaps the most used here. I would like to install the
recent version of 8.1 (l_fc_pu_8.1.021.tar.gz) in my own directory (and
also later mpich) on the 64 bit processors (64 bit suse linux) cluster.
I did several times such installations for the 32-bit processors and
intel 7.*. There it was easy to avoid default as a root user
installation (~ 2 short lines of rpm). In 8.1 everything is different. I
found a long story at:
http://archive.daniel-baumann.ch/linux-from-scratch/hints/intel-fortran-compiler/intel-fortran-compiler-8.1.021-1.txt

I did 2.1 and 2.2 (compiler and debugger installations), but have a
problem with: "4.2. Environment variables". I have started to copy these
long lines (and of course I have changed the names of directories to my
own), but found the errors such as:

sed: -e expression #1, char 45: unterminated `s' command
sed: -e expression #1, char 17: unknown option to `s'

I think that I am not writing correctly some /, \  and spaces, but I am
not able to figure what is wrong.

Is this true that installation of 8.1 as a non-root user have to be that
long ? If I have installed the compiler in  /home/goranka/opt  then how
(for example) the line
(here copy/pasted from the web page):

sed -i -e 's/<INSTALLDIR>\/include/\/opt\/include/g' /opt/bin/ifc.cfg

should go ?

Thank you very much for help.
Best regards,
Goranka