[Pw_forum] About maximally localized wannier function

Silviu Zilberman silviu at Princeton.EDU
Sat Aug 27 17:46:40 CEST 2005

Sorry, after reading again your email I reallized that you did answer my
question.

Thanks, Silviu.

Silviu Zilberman wrote:

> Dear Nicola,
>
> Thank you for your detailed explanation. Following on your last point,
> suppose you do the best k-point sampling with PW, to obtain the total
> charge density. One could impose this charge density in the CP
> calculation, at every step, to get MLWF at the gamma-point that are
> consistent with this charge density. Wouldn't it implicitly be
> equivalent to the MLWF obtained in the full k-points optimization?
>
> Thanks, Silviu.
>
> Nicola Marzari wrote:
>

>> Dear Silviu,
>>
>> this is an interesting suggestion. The good thing about the
>> Gamma-sampling CP code algorithm is that it will always lead to
>> the true minimum of the localization functional, as long as a
>> cubic/tetragonal/orthorombic cells are used (i.e. derivatives are
>> calculated with 3 orthogonal G vectors). Depending on your application,
>> this could be very important or irrelevant - the more the system is
>> large and disordered, the more it becomes useful/essential.
>> Another advantage is that the CP/Wannier subroutines work with ultrasoft
>> pseudopotentials, although this capability is forthcoming in
>> wannier-transport.org and wannier.org .
>>
>> The regular k-point wannier codes use instead trial projection orbitals
>> (very straightforward  ones - usually one specifies the center of a
>> gaussian, and the l,m of a spherical harmonics) to start the
>> minimization already in the right basin of attraction. This
>> approach works again very well in most cases - to the point that some
>> groups just use these projections, without localization, to get
>> localized WFs (I think, e.g., Pickett's group).
>>
>> As a last note - if you use CP, your sampling can be "poor" if you have
>> a smallish unit cell. On the other hand, if you use PWSCF to feed CP,
>> you can make your charge density as good as you want it, sampling-wise.
>> Then, the only finite-size errors remaining will be on the calculation
>> of the MLWFs themselves, that, using CP, will only combine states
>> obtained at Gamma, instead of using all the Brillouin zone.
>>
>>                 nicola
>>

>> Silviu Zilberman wrote:
>>
>>> Dear Xianghjun,
>>>
>>> MLWF are implemented in the CP code. I believe that the latest cvs
>>> version has compatible restart files, which means you could use any
>>> PWSCF calculation result as an input to a CP Wannier calculation.
>>> This compatibility has only been introduced recently, and it may
>>> still be unstable. You could also take the geometry from your PW
>>> calculation and start a CP calculation from scratch and minimize the
>>> wavefunction using Wannier dynamics. Look at the INPUT_CP file for
>>> more details, as well as example #23.
>>>
>>> Silviu.

Zilberman Silviu

213 Frick Laboratory, Department of Chemistry
Princeton University
Princeton, NJ 08544

phone: 609-258-1834
fax:   609-258-6746