[Pw_forum] About maximally localized wannier function

Nicola Marzari marzari at MIT.EDU
Sat Aug 27 17:17:09 CEST 2005

Dear Silviu,

this is an interesting suggestion. The good thing about the
Gamma-sampling CP code algorithm is that it will always lead to
the true minimum of the localization functional, as long as a
cubic/tetragonal/orthorombic cells are used (i.e. derivatives are
calculated with 3 orthogonal G vectors). Depending on your application,
this could be very important or irrelevant - the more the system is
large and disordered, the more it becomes useful/essential.
Another advantage is that the CP/Wannier subroutines work with ultrasoft
pseudopotentials, although this capability is forthcoming in
wannier-transport.org and wannier.org .

The regular k-point wannier codes use instead trial projection orbitals
(very straightforward  ones - usually one specifies the center of a
gaussian, and the l,m of a spherical harmonics) to start the
minimization already in the right basin of attraction. This
approach works again very well in most cases - to the point that some
groups just use these projections, without localization, to get
localized WFs (I think, e.g., Pickett's group).

As a last note - if you use CP, your sampling can be "poor" if you have
a smallish unit cell. On the other hand, if you use PWSCF to feed CP,
you can make your charge density as good as you want it, sampling-wise.
Then, the only finite-size errors remaining will be on the calculation
of the MLWFs themselves, that, using CP, will only combine states
obtained at Gamma, instead of using all the Brillouin zone.

				nicola