[Pw_forum] CO/Cu(100) phonon calculation problem.

Alcantara Ortigoza, Marisol alcantar at phys.ksu.edu
Wed Aug 24 19:09:31 CEST 2005

Paolo Giannozzi wrote:

>if one restarts from a run that was stopped because of cpu
>time limit or machine crash or whatever unexpected reason,
>the probability that something goes wrong (i.e. that files are
>corrupted) is very high. If however the run is cleanly stopped,
>i.e. by the code itself and not by external factors, one should
>be able to restart without any problem. It is however prudent
>to save a copy of the temporary files before restarting a new
>job.

>It is hard to say what happened in this specific case, since it
>is not clear whether the problem occurs due to restarting or
independently of it. In the >former case, it should be possible
>to find cases in which the restart reproducibly fails.

Then, it is clear to me that the problem was not because of restarting
issues. First, the run stopped  cleanly. At the end the last 'correct'
output file shows "Stopping for time limit     13699.    13400.".

Second, the next run - where the problem arose - started properly. It
still performed two iterations without any problem. Therefore, it
couldn't be a restarting problem. What then? Is it possible to recover
anything?

Thanks. Marisol.

On Tuesday 23 August 2005 21:25, Eyvaz Isaev wrote:

> Sorry for interfiering. Presumably Paolo has some
> strong arguments against my suggetion, but in my
> experience phonon calculations were never succesfull
> from restart.

if one restarts from a run that was stopped because of cpu
time limit or machine crash or whatever unexpected reason,
the probability that something goes wrong (i.e. that files are
corrupted) is very high. If however the run is cleanly stopped,
i.e. by the code itself and not by external factors, one should
be able to restart without any problem. It is however prudent
to save a copy of the temporary files before restarting a new
job.

It is hard to say what happened in this specific case, since it
is not clear whether the problem occurs due to restarting or
independently of it. In the former case, it should be possible
to find cases in which the restart reproducibly fails.

Paolo

Paolo Giannozzi             e-mail:  giannozz at nest.sns.it