[Pw_forum] restart from an interrupted phonon run

Paolo Giannozzi giannozz at nest.sns.it
Wed Aug 3 15:28:07 CEST 2005

On Wednesday 03 August 2005 14:40, Yong Jiang wrote:

> I notice that pw.x has a input tag of "restart_mode='restart'"
> which allows users to continue previous interrupted run. Is there
> a similar tag for ph.x, to restart an interrupted ph.x run?

ph.x should automatically restart from an interrupted run, if it
detects the presence of scratch files written by a previous run.
This is by the way a source of trouble more often than not, so
in the newer version you will have to explicitly specify that you
want to restart from a previous run.

Note however that
1) restarting is a mess, because files are often corrupted
2) in parallel execution, restarting is a mess multiplied by 1024:
  you need to run on the same number of processors, with the same
  number of 'pools', and each processor must see all files produced
  by all other processors

Paolo

Paolo Giannozzi             e-mail:  giannozz at nest.sns.it