[Pw_forum] Recurring problem when starting "from_scratch" with pw.x

Alcantara Ortigoza, Marisol alcantar at phys.ksu.edu
Fri Apr 15 19:53:22 CEST 2005

The directory files are being read from the right directory. I deleted
those PP files and got a new copy of these PP files from the pwscf web
page. Nothing changed, the same problem appears.

So, I tried a scf calculation for a simpler system (only one atom).

The WARNING "Warning: negative or imaginary starting charge" also
appeared there.

In the first and second iteration it shows:

 "estimated scf accuracy    <*************** ryd"

But it could go on. Only after 50 iterations convergence was achieved.

Yet, the systems for which I need to do 'scf' calculation present these
convergence problems. It is clear that the PP files are not the problem.
So, please let me know what else you think could be the problem.

Thank you very much.

Marisol.