[Pw_forum] Error during the configuration with MPICH

Gerardo Ballabio g.ballabio at cineca.it
Mon Apr 11 16:54:18 CEST 2005

On 04/11/05 17:17:48, Shujun Hu wrote:
> [root at localhost espresso]#  ./configure
> LIBDIRS="/opt/intel/mkl721/lib/32"
> --enable-shared
> checking architecture... linux32
> checking for mpif90... mpif90
> checking for Fortran 77 compiler default output file name...
> configure: error:
> Fortran 77 compiler cannot create executables
> See `config.log' for more details.

What version of Espresso are you using?
Many HPC machines are configured so as to disable execution of
parallel programs from the command line (you have to run them through
a batch queue). If I remember correctly, the "configure" in the
stable version (2.1.2) will fail in this case. The "configure" in the
most recent development version (accessible from anonymous CVS, see
file "README.cvs") has a workaround for that.

If the problem is not solved this way, it is possible that your MPICH
environment isn't configured properly. Does your mpif90 actually
work? Please try compiling some simple program with it.

Gerardo

P.S. you need not be root to compile Espresso.