[Pw_forum] Installation issues in an Itanium system

Paolo Giannozzi giannozz at nest.sns.it
Thu Sep 2 18:56:59 CEST 2004

On Thursday 02 September 2004 11:46, Jose C. Conesa wrote:

> I wish to compile pwscf in a new Itanium2 biprocessor machine

In general: please use the CVS version when trying to port
PWscf to a new/unsupported machine. It may avoid wasting
time to re-implement what is already there, it makes easier
for developers to add support for the new architecture

The CVS version of "configure" should recognize your configuration.
If it doesn't, try to find a good make.sys file: "./configure.old altix"
should be a good starting point. Let us know if you succeed.

> g) In either of both cases (MPI or only OpenPM): if I decide to use the
> fftw and/or atlas libraries, should I ensure that they are compiled with
> the same parallelization characteristics as the main pwscf software in
> order to make the result viable or at least optimally effcient?

with MPI you use libraries compiled in the usual way. I know nothing
about OpenMP. By the way: if you plan to use the parallel version of
the code with the Intel compiler, you may need to recompile the MPI
libraries from scratch

Paolo
Paolo Giannozzi             e-mail:  giannozz at nest.sns.it