[Pw_forum] Performance of ESPRESSO CP on Pentium, Nocona, Opteron

Nicola Marzari marzari at MIT.EDU
Tue Oct 26 21:01:36 CEST 2004

Dear All,

we have been doing performance tests on several platforms for the
past few years - these standards tests and results could be useful
for the community at large, and so we've put them on a small web page:
http://nnn.mit.edu/ESPRESSO/CP90_tests/

In particular, we are intrigued by the fact that we cannot seem
to get a CPU performance on Opteron platforms anywhere near the
Intel. While Opterons do very well in terms of memory bus speed,
our best Opteron performance (1 CPU of a 250, 2.4 GHz) is still 75%
slower than a Nocona (1 CPU, 3.2 GHz, 1 MB cache), and 43% slower
than a PIV (1 CPU, 3.2 GHz, 512 KB cache).

We'd be very happy to keep collecting CPU timings for any of the
two tests listed above (AgI_small.j and AgI_large.j) - please follow
as closely as possible the instructions on the details needed on
CPUs and compiilers. Ultimately these numbers would make their way
to the official pages...

				nicola