[Pw_forum] about Hubbard_alpha

Stefano Fabris Fabris at democritos.it
Wed Oct 20 13:24:48 CEST 2004

Dear Ruijuan,

the value of "Hubbard_alpha" has to be zero in your routine LDA+U
calculations. That variable is used ONLY when you want to estimate the
value of the parameter U from a set of calculations. This is done by
adding to the effective potential a local perturbation (proportional
to the value of "hubbard_alpha") acting on the localized states of a
specific site and then calculating the resulting changes in the
occupancies of the localized states. The procedure is described in the
following paper (M Cococcioni and S de Gironcoli, cond-mat/0405160),
and in the PhD thesis of Matteo Cococcioni
(http://www.sissa.it/cm/phd.php).

Best wishes,
				Stefano

Stefano Fabris                               fabris at democritos.it
INFM DEMOCRITOS - SISSA                      tel: +39 040 3787405
via Beirut 2-4, I-34014 Trieste, Italy       fax: +39 040 3787528