[Pw_forum] Projection of plane wave functions into atomic orbitals

Cyrille Barreteau cbarreteau at cea.fr
Tue May 4 08:28:46 CEST 2004

Dear Francesco and Stefano,

Thank you very much for your clear answer, it is extremely helpful.
By the way I wanted to congratulate all the pwscf developpers for the
impressive work you have done. It is really a very good code.

      Cyrille

    | Cyrille Barreteau           |  phone:+33 (0)1 69 08 29 51  |
    | CEA Saclay                  |                              |
    | DSM/DRECAM/SPCSI            |  fax : +33 (0)1 69 08 84 46  |
    | Batiment 462                |                              |
    | 91191 Gif sur Yvette Cedex  |  email: cbarreteau at cea.fr    |
    | FRANCE                      |                              |
    |             ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~                       |
    |    web : http://www-drecam.cea.fr/spcsi/groupe1.htm        |

 >> I have a question concerning the problem of projection of PW wave
 >> function
 >> on atomic orbitals.
 >> example 8 shows the case of bulk Ni with LDA pseudo pot NiUS.RRKJ3.UPF
 >> which uses two wave functions s and d (see below)
 >>
 >>     2    6             Number of Wavefunctions, Number of Projectors
 >>  Wavefunctions         nl  l   occ
 >>                        4S  0  1.00
 >>                        3D  2  9.00
 >>
 >> The result of the projection with projwfc.x gives the following
 >> decomposition:
 >>
 >>  Atom #   1: total charge =   9.8849, s, p, d, f =   0.9347  0.0000
 >> 8.9501
 >>      Spilling Parameter:   0.0115
 >>
 >> My question is the following: where have the p electrons gone?

In your pseudo the p channel is the local channel, i.e. you have no
projectors for the p because it has no nonlocal part at all for the p
pseudo.
This mean that the projecting proceudure cannot find the p-like charge.
It is better to use a directly separated pseudo as the vanderbilt pseudo
to overcome this problem.
Francesco