[Pw_forum] Projection of plane wave functions into atomic orbitals

Francesco Antoniella francesco.antoniella at aquila.infn.it
Mon May 3 17:46:53 CEST 2004

Il lun, 2004-05-03 alle 17:26, Cyrille Barreteau ha scritto:

> Dear pwscf users,
>
> I have a question concerning the problem of projection of PW wave function
> on atomic orbitals.
> example 8 shows the case of bulk Ni with LDA pseudo pot NiUS.RRKJ3.UPF
> which uses two wave functions s and d (see below
In your pseudo the p channel is the local channel, i.e. you have no
projectors for the p because it has no nonlocal part at all for the p
pseudo.
This mean that the projecting proceudure cannot find the p-like charge.
It is better to use a directly separated pseudo as the vanderbilt pseudo
to overcome this problem.
Francesco