[Pw_forum] Projection of plane wave functions into atomic orbitals

Cyrille Barreteau cbarreteau at cea.fr
Mon May 3 17:26:59 CEST 2004

Dear pwscf users,

I have a question concerning the problem of projection of PW wave function
on atomic orbitals.
example 8 shows the case of bulk Ni with LDA pseudo pot NiUS.RRKJ3.UPF
which uses two wave functions s and d (see below)

     2    6             Number of Wavefunctions, Number of Projectors
  Wavefunctions         nl  l   occ
                        4S  0  1.00
                        3D  2  9.00

The result of the projection with projwfc.x gives the following decomposition:

  Atom #   1: total charge =   9.8849, s, p, d, f =   0.9347  0.0000  8.9501
      Spilling Parameter:   0.0115

My question is the following: where have the p electrons gone?

It seems that eventhough the spilling parameter is not fantastic, it is
not that bad and from the charge distribution it seems that the p electrons
have in a way been projected on s orbitals! How is it possible?

  thanks for your help.

      cyrille

    | Cyrille Barreteau           |  phone:+33 (0)1 69 08 29 51  |
    | CEA Saclay                  |                              |
    | DSM/DRECAM/SPCSI            |  fax : +33 (0)1 69 08 84 46  |
    | Batiment 462                |                              |
    | 91191 Gif sur Yvette Cedex  |  email: cbarreteau at cea.fr    |
    | FRANCE                      |                              |
    |    web : http://www-drecam.cea.fr/spcsi/groupe1.htm        |