[Pw_forum] Star_q degeneracy error

ma Yanming yanming_ma at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 15 03:04:28 CET 2004

Dear Stefano de Gironcoli

Thanks for your excellent comments. Yes, the things go just like your
suggestion.

As you know, before we try to calcuate a whole phonon dispersion curves
along high symmetry direction in the BZ, the most important thing is to
determine how many and which special q points we have to calculate directly
for the selected k mesh (say 444 or 666), then after that by using the
resulting force constants we can obtain the phonon dispersion. I made my
own code to choose the special q points. In my case, due to the numerical
error (from my input) instead of (0.50000000 0.288675135 0.0000000), I got
the (0.49999999 0.28868359 0.00000000). The discrepancy in y axis is
8x10-6. Actually, in real situation, the difference in phonon for these two
q points is negligible, if the codes go through both the two points.
The big advantage of linear response theory to calculate the phonons is
from the reality of obtaining phonons at any wave vector. By this method,
we can always check how good is the phonons we calculate by the
interploation of force constant in the BZ. This is also the reason why some
people stop using the supercell method in the phonon calculation.
It seems that in this hcp case, we don't realize what we are supposed to
realize (obtaining the phonons at any wave vectr). The phonons fail at some
wave vectors. Is there any good idea to perfect the PWSCF code?

Regards!

Yanming Ma PhD
Steacie Institute for Molecular Sciences,
National Research Councils of Canada.
100 Sussex
K1A 0R6