[Pw_forum] Star_q degeneracy error

Stefano de Gironcoli degironc at sissa.it
Sat Mar 13 19:19:47 CET 2004

dear Yanming Ma,

in your script you are using the following ccordinates
q = (0.49999999 0.28868359 0.00000000)
I guess you want to study the K point in the BZ
q = (0.5, 0.5/sqrt(3.0), 0.0) =
    (0.50000000 0.288675135 0.0000000)

This means that the q-point you are using is NOT the
high symmetry K point by an amount of the order of
8.455 x 10^-6 (on the y coordinate).

In order to check whether a symmetry operation belongs
to the small-group of q the code performs a comparison
between q and the rotated q having an aceptance tollerance
that is fixed as 1.0x10-5 (in routine PW/eqvect.f90) which
is very close to the accuracy you used to specify the K point.
Probably the symmetry check is passed for some symmetry
operations and not in some other cases in a way that confuses
the code.

I would say that it is not a bug: some acceptance threshold in
the symmetry check need to be set and if the accuracy used in
the coordinates is borderline the code my not figure out properly
the symmetry and then it MUST stop and complain.

Use more accurate values for the coordinates... it works !

Stefano de Gironcoli