[Pw_forum] Recent CVS - problems on SGI

Gerardo Ballabio g.ballabio at cineca.it
Wed Feb 18 10:04:58 CET 2004

On Tue, 2004-02-17 at 19:49, Konstantin Kudin wrote:
>  Yeah, I copied a customized make.sys from a different
> directory and thus the $TOPDIR variable was wrong.
> Once that is fixed, the build goes fine. That is not
> the first time I am messing up the $TOPDIR, would it
> be possible to have something like `pwd` there or
> something such as $TOPDIR is always the current dir of
> make.sys?

I don't know whether this may be useful: if you generated make.sys via
the new "configure" script, $TOPDIR is set to `pwd` by default -- that
is, the directory you run configure from. However you can specify a
different directory by running:

  ./configure TOPDIR=/whatever/you/want

In all cases however $TOPDIR is presently hardcoded into make.sys as an
absolute path: thus, the same make.sys can't work for multiple build
trees without editing.

Using a relative path for $TOPDIR looks rather tricky, because make.sys
is included both by the top-level Makefile, and by the Makefiles of the
subdirectories: for this reason `pwd` isn't going to work either, and I
don't know of a command that computes "the directory this file is in".
Thus, right now, I can't see how that could be done. If you can, I'm
open for suggestions.

Gerardo